Followers

Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2022

Acquired Tastes XLIII Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 122: Adonis Classics, Part 6 of 25

Acquired Tastes XLIII 
Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 122
Adonis Classics, Part 6 of 25

Greenleaf Classic Books, the publishers of  the Adonis Classics imprint, began in 1959 and continued until 1971, when management lost focus on the business as the government's prosecution for obscenity became a major concern.

By 1974,a new management team and staff were in place, operating out of an office at 7523 Raytheon Road in San Diego and production ceased on all existing imprints. In an attempt to break into mainstream markets, two new imprints were started which used cover art and titles that were not provocative. These efforts failed.

The year 1975 marks the end of  Greenleaf Classics' Vintage period. It is at this time, with the loosening of censorship laws, that the Adonis Classics imprint began production. It marks the end of Greenleaf Classic's Classic Age (1959-1975.) 

Adonis Classics would release a total of 252 titles during it's lifespan. 

The first twenty covers feature white backgrounds (with one exception) and colored drawings or black and white pencil illustrations. After the first two titles, a particular type-face was established, with the title appearing above the illustration. The distinctive Adonis Classics symbol was established with either the seventh or eighth title in the series.

After the first twenty titles, the imprint switched to their iconic red covers (though sometimes pink,) featuring a black and white illustration framed in a black circle which has an arrow attached - a universal sign designating something as 'male.' The book's title at the top of the cover is encased in a white circle with an arrow (the symbol for male.)

Today, we end up with only 50% - five out of ten covers found.

--- ---

Boy In Bondage
Author: Lambert Wilhelm
AC 151

We begin and will end with the same subject matter... go on, take a look. Apparently a boy or boys in bondage was deemed something that would stimulate sales. Not my style... the boys or this type of bondage. I much prefer men of a certain age and less hardware. Trust me, if he's worth your time and energy? Then he's already got the one prop to do the job right!

And look! We're already up to April, 1977.

Available as a pdf or e-book at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

Cruising Stud
Author: Jason Tyler
AC 152
(Cover Not Found)

It's been a lovely, leisurely summer with plenty of cruising opportunities this year. I will miss it, for it remains one of my favorite pastimes. And it's true... one can waste hours and hours of precious life simply trolling for a little action. But when you do catch the eye of some spunk worthy stud? 

Well, that's the stuff that dreams are made of!

--- ---

Locker Room Buddies
Author: F.W. Love
AC 153
(Cover Not Found)

Just the title! I can practically hear the slam of the little metal doors as the stud next to me gives me a sideways glance before making his way proudly to the showers or sauna. I tell you, it never took much encouragement for me to follow. But times have changed. COVID-19 has taken all the fun out of gyms and locker rooms. 

Oh, I still get my workouts in... but it's a solitary thing, which never ends with the kind of heart pumping excitement I used to find regularly at the downtown YMCA. 

--- ---

Big Rig Stud
Author: Curt MacLean
AC 154
(Cover Not Found)

They are hitting all the regular themes, aren't they? Locker rooms and truck drivers and cops and cowboys... can you imagine what a gay encyclopedia would look like? Huh, now that I think of it... wouldn't that be fun! 

And just imagine the door-to-door salesman who'd be knocking on your front door!

Sale... made.

--- ---

Cop Sucker
Author: Lambert Wilhelm
AC 155

Another from William Maltese. And I apologize for the the crappy graphic, but it's the best I could do. That said, it looks like that motorcycle cop is either about to get his nightstick a thorough mouth washing or he's being checked for crabs.

Available as a pdf or e-book at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

Stud Show
Author: Lambert Wilhelm
AC 156
(Cover Not Found)

This makes me think of those Chippendale dancers. Do those revues do anything for you? I have always been rather repulsed by their advertising campaigns, as all the men look like oiled up steroid cases. And all that air blown, fly away hair? It's not my idea of sexy at all.

That's why I'm more Full Monty than Magic Mike. I've seen the former - and it was fun, but have no desire to see the latter - which seems as sexy as hooking up with a cured ham.

--- ---

Glory Hole Studs
Author: Rance Manning
AC 157
 
Interesting choice for the cover, don't you think. A bit of barroom floor fun. Everyone knows the real action is in the corners of the club, the emergency exit stairwell or the men's room stalls. 

As for glory holes? Not my thing. I tried them. At bathhouses and twice, the real thing - at a park in Boystown and one on the way to San Diego. It's too impersonal. I like to look into the eyes of the man attached before giving full service.

--- ---

House Of Studs
Author: Wes Talbot
AC 158
(Cover Not Found)

Well, all houses are made of studs... but, gee. We all have fantasies about renovating our abodes and the hunky workman walking about, toolbelts causing tight jeans to sag in all the right places. They get hot and sweaty... a dirty tank top or perhaps a nice bare chest.

This summer, there were renovations taking place on the corner house and I happened to spy a couple of workman sans shirts and sweating to beat the band, sun blessed and sexy AF. 

Needless to say, I had to pause my day and imagine the two of them taking a well deserved break.

I wonder if they would mind if I watched?

--- ---

Bunk House Stud
Author: Rex Harper
AC 159

Here come the cowboys! I must say, this illustrator certainly does the pouch of a pair of underwear proud. Those are some loaded groins.

And you know what they say - and by they, I mean me - loaded groins lead to lusty groans, provided you know what you're doing.

Of course, consent is important. It looks like that one cowpoke who's looking to poke failed to take note of the whole #MeToo movement.

--- ---

Boys In Bondage
Author: Rex Harper
AC 160 

And hear we are with jock strapped 'boys' (who, let's be honest, appear to be men) with their heads in some kind of pillory or maybe it's a cow barn? In any case, I don't know who has it worse - the two bare-assed cowpokes who are about to feel the sting of that whip or they poor lad hanging upsided down.

Though, from the looks of things, apparently the head on his shoulders isn't the only place his blood has rushed!

Available as a pdf or e-book at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

And that's all for now

Next week, another ten scintillating Adonis Classics.

Until then...

Thanks for reading!

Cruisin' - Smokey Robinson

1 comment:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I love erotica.
I remember I had a small collection I really liked it. One-handed reading, they called it. I miss those days.

XOXO