Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Nancy Sinatra

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Nancy Sinatra

In my own personal big gay church there are many wings. In one such wing reside those who have forged careers by marching to a beat only they can hear. They are originals - unlike any other. Their styles created archetypes upon which many careers were built, but it all began with them. They created it. They own it.

Once such woman...

Nancy Sinatra

Just one look... that really is all it took. And a couple of well-placed songs. 

That's all she really needed. 

She remains the queen of cool. Every glance. Every stance. Every dance.

Yes, her father may have been The Chairman Of The Board, but this diva grabbed the bow with both hands, pulled it back and let it fly. She certainly made her mark, one that has withstood the test of time.

And once she partnered with Lee Hazelwood, the pair created a soundscape as achingly beautiful as the morning after. Steeped in cinematic hues and the stuff of life, their powerful duets keep earning them new fans generation after generation.

The gospel according to her? 

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The Topic? The Chairman Of The Board

"I am the daughter of the Chairman of the Board and thus, was raised with great music."

"Dad really had little to do with the songs, except to perform them."

"My dad was always there, even though he wasn't living in our house. He was always on the phone, always just a car ride away. Whenever he had a new recording, we would be the first to get the acetate. And it would say, in Dad's handwriting, 'Play it loud.'"
 
"I wanted to travel with my dad to be close to him again. Having babies and raising my own family took so much of my time, I didn't have a chance to be with him very often."
 
"His last 2 shows in the U.S. were in Chicago and St. Louis. I don't know what made me go on the trip with him, but I'm so very glad I did. They were two of the finest concerts I've ever seen."

"Most people, when they lose their dads, they go through a period of mourning and grieving, and time begins to heal their sadness. But we don't have the opportunity to heal. I know my brother and sister feel the same. The man was probably one of the most photographed people who ever lived."
 
These Boots Are Made For Walking - Nancy Sinatra

Summer Wine - Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood

Let Me Kiss You - Nancy Sinatra feat. Morrissey

And one last parting shot...

"If I had any advice to give to anybody, it would be record your parents talking so that, when you're longing to hear that voice, you can play the tape. But for me, it's a little often. You don't always need to be reminded that he isn't here anymore."

2 comments:

redneckstdildopig said...

who would have known? Great posting about her.

SickoRicko said...

Always loved her walking boots.