Followers

Total Pageviews

Monday, April 18, 2022

Acquired Tastes XLIII: Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 95 - HIS69, Part 24 of 44

Acquired Tastes XLIII
Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 95
HIS69, Part 24 of 44

The HIS69 imprint was active from 1971 thru 1988, delivering an astounding 531 titles. Surrey House, Inc. / Surree Ltd, Inc. of San Diego and Santee, California are responsible for this imprint which was distributed by the same company as Trojan BooksManhard Books, Gay Books and Gay Way Books; the Zorro Distribution Company, also operating out of San Diego.

It should be noted that many of these titles, with original artwork included, were simultaneously republished under the Gay Books imprint and then, later, minus the artwork, were also republished under the ManPower imprint.

The artwork for the HIS69 books would go through only two minor shifts with all the covers featuring ink drawings by various uncredited illustrators - artwork quite similar to what we saw with the Manhard imprint.

This week? Well, we have a bit of surprise. 

Oh, I managed to find all 13 covers, but... for some reason, the powers that be at HIS69 ceased publication for a bit - it may have had something to do with a change in location from San Diego to Sawatee. They ended at HIS69282 and then, when they started up, they chose to pick it up at HIS69401! 

Nothing else changed. They didn't attempt to rebrand or do a redesign - which only made sense; why fix what isn't broken? Obviously, they had a good thing going with those ink drawings on the cover.

Odd? Oh, yeah. And if anyone has a definitive answer as to why this occurred? Please leave it in the comments section. I would love to know. 

Maybe they had a thing against the 300's?

Here are the next 13 covers:

Victim Of Vice
Author: Clay Caldwell
HIS69279

I was a 'victim' of vice... once. Once was enough.

Trust me, the ones I dealt with were not nearly as handsome or friendly as those pictured. 

But it appears Greg Brady is about to serve a bit of 'hard time.'

--- ---

Trappin' Man
Author: P.H. Bennett
HIS69280

This is actually the first of three in a series. But note: they've done away with that variation they were using for the High School Hunks and Halfbreed series. 

So, a fur-trading gay romance that takes place during the times of Lewis and Clark (whom I, being the gay I am, always confuse with Gilbert and Sullivan.) Well, beavers be damned, indeed!

--- ---

Biker In Bondage
Book II
Author: Michael Scott
HIS69281

Another series that they did not employ the previous series design variation. 

I've ridden behind a motorcyclist like the blondie pictured, though I was partially clothed (a pair of slutty denim cut-offs count as clothing, yes?) While I recommend wrapping your arms around the hunk doing the driving, I'm not sure being in the buff is all that wise. When a bug hits your skin while going sixty m.p.h.? Oh, yeah... that's gonna leave a mark.

Chicken Lover
P.H. Bennett
HIS69282

And this is the end of the first series... 

And, of course, it simply has to be a book about older men in need of young 'men.'

Sigh. 

Well, I suppose if there's a market...? (Oh, yes, unfortunately, there is still such a market.)

--- ---

Horny Studs' Ranch
Author: Clay Caldwell
HIS69401

I've never had the pleasure of visiting a dude ranch. If you have, please share your experiences in the comments section. I did recently speak with a couple from London who happened to book a weekend at a gay ranch. They were they only folks there and had a ball - and not the kind with gowns and tiaras. 

--- ---

Trappin' Man II
Author: P.H. Bennett
HIS69402

Number two, in the series. Oh my, apparently there are plenty of treasures to be had when exploring the Lewis and Clark trail. Such pretty jewels! And I do like the cut of blondie's friend's G-string. 

--- ---

Teen Slave Ring
Author: Mick Stevens
HIS69403

Wow. Talk about giving away the ending. I think this illustration gives one the whole story. But then we aren't exactly reading these things for the intricate plot points.

Scientific research, laboratories, and medical scenes? They don't do a whole lot for me. But to each their own. I think it's the clinical atmosphere and furnishings that kill it for me. Well, that and too many props. If I'm having sex with someone, I want them focused on me, not a piece of medical equipment.

--- ---

Halfbreed's Rise
Author: P.H. Bennett
HIS69404

I guess this is more a sequel, than a series. And that title? Why, I am quite certain it is referring to the value of higher education. Though I do wonder exactly what blondie's really teaching to our Native American hunk. Then again, it could be a case of the student becoming the teacher!

--- ---

New Boy In Town
Author: Gene Charnot
HIS6905

Que up that old Eagle's song, A New Kid In Town. Apparently, all the young executives want to roll out the welcome wagon for our 

--- ---

Trappin' Man III
Author: P.H. Bennett
HIS69406

Looks like this is the final chapter in this series. Blondie finds brunette. And it appears, based on those bib overhauls, that this one takes place in the modern era.  In this case, perhaps the title should be taken literally, as in... trapping a man! 

--- ---

Prison Sex
Author: Roland Graeme
HIS69407

They do make it seem romantic, don't they. I've touched on the fantasy vs. reality thing in the past. I just don't think all that sex could ever make up for the loss of one's freedom. I'm a creature of habit and comfort, and I like my alone time. So, I can't imagine losing my ability to do as I please.

--- ---

Dads & Lads
Author: Samuel West
HIS69408

Ah, incest. A true taboo. Among brothers it seems more acceptable, but father and son relationships are still frowned upon, especially when the son isn't at an age where he can grant consent. I know this is fantasy stuff, but it's mere existence fuels all sorts of myths about homosexuals in general - falsehoods that are then picked up by the far right and hurled in our faces as proof that we are the monsters they believe us to be. 

--- ---

Bound For Pleasure
Author: Paul Gronowski
HIS69409

Trusting little lad. Well, at least he's surrounded by attractive folk. In group settings, one would be wise not allow one's self to be so helplessly bound. I understand that there are those who have a 'cum one, cum all' attitude in such settings, but the idea of being taken advantage of by someone you don't find attractive? Not my idea of a good time.

Oh, take not of the plank of wood at the bottom center of the illustration and what it's tied to! Ouch. Also, not my idea of a good time. 

--- ---

Behind The Man
Author: Todd Roberts
HIS69410

It's hard for me to say exactly how many artists are at work here. This illustration certainly strikes me as much different than the one previous; lots of shading. It's also hard to imagine a single artist being able to produce so many pieces at such a rapid pace, but then the drawing is not something in my wheelhouse - to me, it is a form of magic whose source I can't even begin to comprehend. 

The illustrations for this series of books really should be collected in a coffee table style book. They are a form of gay history, one that's definitely being recognized, if the prices these books are going for on eBay are any indication ($50-65 each.) 

I've managed to snag a half dozen for far less, but have no intention of collecting this particular imprint The completist in me would go mad and my bank account bankrupt.   

--- ---

And that's it for now.

More to come... plenty more!

Until then, thanks for reading!

Victim Of Love - Elton John

3 comments:

whkattk said...

Oh, forget a bug hitting the skin - a wipeout will leave a pavement burn you'll never forget. Yes, that's experience speaking. LOL.

Anonymous said...

This has to be the worst EJ album ever. A bad attempt at disco in which he contributed nothing more than vocals.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

They did jump through the 300s huh?
And I'd love to know if they ever did a collection of just the covers (a la Tom of Finland). I'd love to have that book. I think the illustrations are hot.

XOXO