Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 08, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Alison Moyet

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Alison Moyet

In my own personal big gay church there are many wings. In one such wing reside those who have forged careers by marching to a beat only they can hear. They are originals - unlike any other. Their styles created archetypes upon which many careers were built, but it all began with them. They created it. They own it.

One such Valkyrie?

Alison Moyet.

Invisible? Never. An Ordinary Girl? Hardly.

A student of punk's underground, she sailed forth as one of the cutting edge voices of electronic pop, thanks to her association with Depeche Mode's Vince Clarke. Under the banner of Yazoo (Yaz) they carved out daring new territory; as icy synths danced beneath a powerfully soulful voice unlike any other.

Instant success led to personality clashes, a lack of communication and, ultimately, the group's demise.

Unhindered, our diva moved on, creating innovative and emotionally satisfying pop music for some time before, much to the industry's chagrin, she felt the need to branch out. Her musical style, always unique, needed more fertile ground.

What began as an occasional tussle grew to became an all-out battle and this lady? She wisely took her toys and went... independent. 

Along the way, she grew healthier and happier. She made peace with herself and grew leaps and bounds as a songwriter. 

Today, she's as revered for her artistry as she is for her amazing voice, and the world is all the better for it.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping her lips.

The topic? Fat.

"Psychologically, I'll always be a fat girl because that's what my character is built on. I always got a buzz out of people telling me I was ugly. I went out of my way to un-beautify myself. I didn't want anyone's approval."

"People always had something to say about the fact I was odd looking, bigger than other people, that I was awkward. When I discovered punk, I bought into it. That look, combined with being fat, made me even less of what people thought a young woman should be."

"I was always an odd girl; I managed to alienate a lot of people. I felt like a square peg in a round hole in the music industry and created a lot of neurosis for myself."

"I was socially awkward for many years. I stuttered, stammered, talked rubbish. I never take up invites to parties, and I've been invited to very glamorous things, but I never go."

"One of the reasons I got really fat when I left home was because I thought rich people ate white bread and Spam. I also thought they could get processed meals, because we never did, so that was exciting."

"Personally I think women look better with a bit of chub on them."

"It's really irrelevant, but I wouldn't want to be stick thin. It's better to have bit of fat on your face when you get older."

"I have lost and put on big batches of weight in my life many, many times. But what concerns me is the idea of being an obese old woman, because I don't like the idea of being physically incapable in someone else's hands."

Invisible - Alison Moyet

Whispering Your Name - Alison Moyet

Reassuring Pinches - Alison Moyet

And one last parting shot...

"When I saw Adele, I thought: 'I'll give it an hour before people say I was her,' just because I was fat. When you watch X Factor, you can bet your bottom dollar, every single fat singer sounds like me as far as the judges are concerned. Can you imagine if they did that with every black artist?"

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Upton, I'm having a terrible time commenting on Blogger. Yours and others,too. Very discouraging. Hope you get this..