Followers

Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 21, 2022

Weekend Onesie: The Pine Walk Collection


Yowsah, yowsah, yowsah!

You know I am all about preserving and enjoying gay cultural history. Well, have I got a treat for you!

Head on over to Mixcloud and get yourself a free account. 

Then, use the search engine and type in The Pine Walk Collection.

Talk about your hot summer nights! 

You will be instantly transported to another time, another dimension, when all things were happy and gay. (We'll ignore the reality of the times, my dears, and simply concentrate on the wonderful music.)

The Pine Walk Collection features  DJ Sets from Fire Island Pines & New York City, from 1978-1999!

This is the equivalent of finding a gay disco's lost ark.

Seems these tapes were found in a recently purchased house on Pine Walk. There are over 200 tapes in total and they have all been carefully digitized and remastered and offered to stream for free on Mixcloud (with permission from all of the living DJs they were able to contact.)

I am not well-versed in DJ Culture, but some of those spinning include: Richie Bernier, Jim Burgess, Michael Jorba, Teri Beaudion, Chuck Parsons, Shaun Buchanan, Jonathan Porter, Warren Gluck... to name but a few. 

I am in heaven. And wished I owned CDs of every single one of these incredible sets.

Current fave? 

A set at The Ice Palace by DJ Roy Thode (Side B), which includes:

1. Change - Paradise
2. Feels Like I'm In Love - Kelly Marie
3. Hit 'N Run Lover - Carol Jiani
4. Give Me A Break - Vivien Vee
5. Dancin' The Night Away - Voggue
6. Dance, Its My Life - Midnight Powers

Another bonus? The comments made by those who were there, sharing memories of those fabled nights of old. 

Honey, if they still played music like this in the clubs, I'd slip into my tightest jeans, put some glitter on my cheeks, step into my dancing shoes and be there every night!

Yes, the party The Pine Walk Collection has to offer is never ending, so give your spirit and your heels a lift and check it out. 

(Shout out to my dear sister, Randall, who turned me onto this disco-very!)

Hope you're having a fabulous weekend.
Don't let the parade pass you by!
Dance, dance, dance!
- uptonking from Wonderland Burlesque

Feels Like I'm In Love - Kelly Marie

















Hit 'N Run Lover - Carol Jiani

1 comment:

Deliciousdeity said...

OMG haha! The equivalent of finding the Vivian Maier photo stash in that storage locker!