Followers

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 09, 2022

Acquired Tastes XLIII: Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 98 - HIS69, Part 27 of 44

Acquired Tastes XLIII
Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 98
HIS69, Part 27 of 44

The HIS69 imprint was active from 1971 thru 1988, delivering an astounding 531 titles. Surrey House, Inc. / Surree Ltd, Inc. of San Diego and Santee, California are responsible for this imprint which was distributed by the same company as Trojan BooksManhard Books, Gay Books and Gay Way Books; the Zorro Distribution Company, also operating out of San Diego.

It should be noted that many of these titles, with original artwork included, were simultaneously republished under the Gay Books imprint and then, later, minus the artwork, were also republished under the ManPower imprint.

The artwork for the HIS69 books would go through only two minor shifts with all the covers featuring ink drawings by various uncredited illustrators - artwork quite similar to what we saw with the Manhard imprint.

Here are the next dozen titles. This week, I came up short twice.

Lusty Lifeguards
Author: Roland Graeme
HIS69435

Ooh... that is quite the pool noodle Mr. Lifeguard is packing. I would love to grab onto that to keep me afloat! Great illustration, if a bit over-shadowed.  

I don't have any experience with male lifeguards, although, a few years ago, when The Boyfriend and I were swimming at the Y on regular basis, a female lifeguard came up to me and told me I had the kind of body she'd like to have (?) I didn't know what to make of it, but considering my age, I just said, 'thank you.'

--- ---

Jackin' Buddies
Author: Josh Benton
HIS69436
(Cover not found.)

Disappointed that I couldn't find this one. I've had really good luck with this imprint, but now that we're looking at more and more second printings and are 300 plus titles into this imprint, I think we should prepare for that to be the case more and more. Not sure why that is, but the rarest titles to find for a given imprint seem to be the first few and those near the tail end.

--- ---

Adventures Of A High School Hunk
Book One
Author: Tom Hardy
HIS69437

Another second printing. This for the very popular High School Hunk series. This reprint brings the cover art in-line with the imprint's other books. If you recall, to launch this series, they had taken to an alternative cover style. 


And here's another interesting tidbit about this series. It was introduced by the imprint with Book III. And it turns out the series was also offered by the Blue Boy imprint and the cover art you see on this second printing of Book One is derived from that cover.
 

Confused? Well, that makes two of us. I wonder if our friend from Hommi Books could shed some light on this? This is one of his favorite series of vintage gay pulp fiction.

--- ---

Slave Quarters
Author: Jon Hartley
HIS69438

I've come to learn that even though this is a second printing, it is not a second edition for this imprint. This is the first appearance of this title on this imprint. I can't locate the original printing. Hartley did write a book called High School Slave for this imprint, but I doubt it's the same book. 

--- ---

Big Truckin' Studs
Author: Bob Hancock
HIS69439

Author Bob Hancock seemed to specialize in trucker stories; he has seven books devoted to the subject, including the very confusingly titled Trucker Stud Sailor, which also may be the same book as Sailor's Trucker Stud (so I only counted it once.)

And, again, claimed as a second printing, but I don't have a record of a first printing.

--- ---


Humpin’ Hayloft Cousins 
Author: Clay Caldwell
HIS69440
(Cover not found.)

Lo and behold, I actually stumbled on a tiny bit of information about one of the author's. Seems Clay Caldwell is a pseudonym for author George Davies, a writer for Disney, who also wrote under the names Thumper Johnson and Lance Lester, among others.

Very disappointed I could not find this cover. Love in a hayloft? Good on paper, scratchy and painful in reality! And yes, I know first hand.

--- ---

T-Room Tricks
Author: Josh Benton
HIS69439

Another 'Second Printing' which is the first printing for this imprint.

There's no love like t-room love. Sadly, I think it's a thing of the past for the most part. Security cameras and heightened awareness has killed this scene for the most part. Yes, I still see guys on Grindr looking for some 'under stall' action, but I think once you realize that it could be Larry Craig on the other side of that partition... all the fun goes out of it.

--- ---

Towel Boy
Author: Samuel West
HIS69442

That is one cute little butt (which I am assuming is of age.) It would appear that Mr. Quarterback is looking for additional assistance. Not sure what he has planned for that bar of soap he has in hand. 

As for the scrawled graffiti on that partition? Your guess is as good as mine.

--- ---

Hot Rocks Resort
Author: Nick Steele
HIS69443

Hmm. Something tells me the titular 'hot rocks' are not referring to a local geographical land feature. Although there does appear to be a number of local sights worth checking out, like the bulge of that cute bell boy, whose uniform appears to be painted on. 

Yes, I think an extended stay at this particular resort would be an excellent way to whittle away at all that piled up PTO you've stockpiled. 

--- ---

Uncles & Lovers
Author: Jon Hartley
HIS69444

I'm not even bothering looking for the first printings of these books. I'm not sure what the 'Second Printing' is really all about, unless it refers to titles that have been obtained by this imprint from other imprints, which is a possibility; cross-pollination of titles and authors seemed to happen a lot during in this genre during this time period.

The eek factor is plenty apparent on this cover, given the book's apparent subject. 

--- ---

Trickin' With Dad
Author: Michael Scott
HIS69445

And another eek factor alert. 

Dad as pimp? 

Have you asked yourself why these books are so pervy? Why can't they just write a 'nice' romance? That we be because the questionable stuff is what sells. And, if you're going to be in the smut trade, you might as well do more than just dip your toe in the water. 

I don't think that's true anymore. Modern gay pulp fiction has branched out to much more conventional tastes, although... I am sure there are exceptions.

--- ---

Adventures Of A High School Hunk
Book II
Author: Tom Hardy
HIS69446

Here's the 'Second Printing' and first appearance of this particular title for this imprint.  

Great illustration. I adore a hunk in a traditional Bike ribbed-pouched jock strap. Super sexy. Of course, if you have love handles, it sort of ruins the whole vibe. 

--- ---

And that's all for now.

Next week? Another dozen scintillating, titillating titles!

Until then... thanks for reading.

Hard Rock Café - Carole King

3 comments:

whkattk said...

I hear the twincest thing is still fairly popular.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ohhh tons of high school fantasy right?
That hunk with the towel boy gave me the vapors. Hot.
And I think that girl told you she'd like your body because you seem to have a swimmer's build. Tending towards the mesomorph. Awesome in the water.

XOXO

Xersex said...

how many wanks I'd have had during my teenage with such erotic comics!