Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 22, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Kacey Musgraves

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Kacey Musgraves

In my own personal big gay church there are many wings. In one such wing reside those who have forged careers by marching to a beat only they can hear. They are originals - unlike any other. Their styles created archetypes upon which many careers were built, but it all began with them. They created it. They own it.

One such brave soul...

Kacey Musgrave

She's country. With a twist.

She's all inclusive. Everyone is welcome. Everyone is included. 

That's not how it's always been done, but then...

This woman is not about adhering to the status quo. 

Informed, educated and whip-smart, she's blazing a new trail, writing songs from her unique point of view, with a sassy sense of humor and a great deal of love.

A staunch ally of the LGBTQ+ community, this is one diva who is looking to forge a long and distinguished music career.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips. 

The topic? Her Own Brand Of Country

"Undeniably, I'm a country singer; I'm a country songwriter. But I feel like I make country music for people who like country music and for people who don't."

"I see my fans as music lovers. I really love that. There's no age group or demographic. It's people of all ages and backgrounds. Country people and non-country people. I wanted to make music across the board."

"When I started out, I wanted to be the kind of artist who could play the CMA Music Festival and then turn around and play Bonnaroo, and I've managed to do both."

"Too many people focus on writing what they think they should write, what should be in a song, what radio would want."

"A lot of what gets on the radio isn't saying anything other than somebody wants to be famous and will do whatever they're told to get it."

"I write my songs and just play them, so there are not a whole lot of fireworks. As long as the music comes first, it's OK to have some fireworks. But not the other way around."

"If the lyrics are something new, then maybe I want to give it a more traditional form, or the other way around, but not have all one or the other."

"I think if you're everyone's cup of tea, that probably means you're a little bit boring, or you're not pushing yourself. Creativity happens where it's dangerous and scary: where you're not comfortable."

"I don't push buttons to push buttons. Throwing the rebel card out there is really cheap."

"I'm just observing. I don't ever want people to think I'm preaching at them or wearing them out."

"Certain kinds of people will always have an issue with my music. But that's fine; it's OK. I don't want to be the McDonald's of music. I don't want to not turn anyone off. If you were everybody's cup of tea, you'd probably be boring."

"I'd rather have 100,000 people who really get what I'm doing and like it for what it is than a million who can take it or leave it."

Follow Your Arrow - Kacey Musgraves

Rainbow - Kacey Musgraves

Merry Go 'Round - Kacey Musgraves

And one last parting shot...

"One of the biggest compliments, hands down, that I've ever gotten in my career, was a gay country fan saying, 'You know what, you have made me feel like I'm finally invited to a party that I've never been invited to.' And that killed me... in the best way possible."

"Because, as  I see it, country music is a genre that was built on stories about real life, about real people, and I don't know why that would exclude anyone's perspective. Because we're all made of the same things, we all want the same things, we're all driven by the same emotions. It's just wrapped up in a bunch of different bows,"

No comments: