Followers

Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2022

Acquired Tastes XLIII: Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 105: HIS69, Part 34 of 44

Acquired Tastes XLIII:
Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 105
HIS69, Part 34 of 44

The HIS69 imprint was active from 1971 thru 1988, delivering an astounding 531 titles. Surrey House, Inc. / Surree Ltd, Inc. of San Diego and Santee, California are responsible for this imprint which was distributed by the same company as Trojan BooksManhard Books, Gay Books and Gay Way Books; the Zorro Distribution Company, also operating out of San Diego.

It should be noted that many of these titles, with original artwork included, were simultaneously republished under the Gay Books imprint and then, later, minus the artwork, were also republished under the ManPower imprint.

The artwork for the HIS69 books would go through only two minor shifts with all the covers featuring ink drawings by various uncredited illustrators - artwork quite similar to what we saw with the Manhard imprint.

Fared a bit better this week, eight nine out of twelve.

--- ---

Runaway Chicken
Author: Frank Stare
HIS69521

Love this illustration! Makes me think of group homes from the 1970's. Imagine being on that top bunk, knowing some dirty fun is happening below. How could one help but touch one's self? 

That's the power of these covers; they light up the imaginations of readers spurring them to purchase and read. This one looks like a Jean-Daniel Cadinot film circa 1980. Naughty boys lost in the throes of their sexual awakening!

--- ---

Lickin’ Chicken
Author: Carl Enders
HIS69522

Found this one at the last minute. It came up for sale on ebay. And within hours it was bid up to $70 and it still had five days to go! (It sold for $96!)

If this title seems familiar, there is another book published by this imprint with a similar title, Chicken Lickin',  HIS69144, credited to Newt Jennings.  

 

--- ---

Sex Ads
Author: Jay Michaels
HIS69523

Oh, movie theatre fun and games! 

If you think those days are long gone, then you need to head over to From My Side Of The Sling. The movie house scene is alive and well... and well reported, thanks to the scintillating writing of Michigan's FelchingPisser. His adventures are not for the weak of heart, but they are sure to get your heart pumping - along with another part of your body. 

As for the book's title? I sure do miss Craiglist and their sex ads. It was so much fun. Risky as hell, but such a thrill. I understand why they had to go away... but that doesn't mean I can't miss 'em. 

--- ---

Open Butt Welder
Author: Dirk Van Damm
HIS69524

One of the more amusing titles for this imprint. I can only imagine the heat! And, from the look of things, it would appear our little welder is thoroughly booked. Note that well-placed censors sticker. Fairly common for the times and... sadly, not removeable. Rather destroys the integrity of the illustration, or does it fuel one's imagination even more?

--- ---

Man To Man
Author: Roland Graeme
HIS69525
(Cover Not Found)

If the previous served as one of the most humorous, this has to be one of the most mundane. Although, I suppose it could be some gay twist on the traditional gentleman's agreement, which according to the dictionary refers to: 'an arrangement or understanding which is based upon the trust of both or all parties, rather than being legally binding.'

Huh. And here I always thought it was where two dudes agreed not to sleep with each other's girlfriends.

Not legally binding, it's an "informal, unwritten agreement between two parties to undertake a transaction or other commitment, backed by the integrity, social norms, and peer pressure of those involved and their social networks."

While I think we can all agree that there is a great deal of integrity and peer pressure in gay society, it does raise the question... are there 'social norms' in gay society?

--- ---

Cop-A-Jock
Author: Ed Kroch
HIS69526

Ah, the swimmers bod. In speedos; a fetish that appeals to so many. Or, at least it sure seems to appeal to blondie, as pictured; for it seems something has indeed caught his youthful eye. Looks like both these cuties will be spending time soon perfecting their various strokes.

--- ---

Heads And Tails
Author: Frank Stare
HIS69527
(Cover Not Found)

Another generic title. I think a better title might have been Head And Tail. I frequently desire both, sometimes at the same time. So, I wonder... during job interviews, do you think it would serve as an appropriate example of multi-tasking? Keeping multiple balls in the air?  Hmm.

--- ---

Man Hunt
Author: Chris Carver
HIS69-528

Looks like our young blondie has found more than what he was hunting for. Though, I suspect, nothing that pert, perfect bubble butt of his can't handle. And speaking of handling... he seems to have found himself quite the handful. 

--- ---

Classical Jock
Author: Carl Enders
HIS69529
(Cover Not Found)

I saw this title and immediately jumped to the conclusion that this one must be about a star quarterback who is also a gifted pianist. Under the tutelage of his older musical mentor, he's been slowly snaking his way up the ranks, competing in piano competitions. Yes, the conflict is constant... does he buckle down and concentrate on the gridiron, as his football coach and father wish him to? Or does he follow his heart, and pursue a career as a concert pianist? It all comes to a head (so to speak) when the night of the piano competition finals and 'the big game' are scheduled to take place on the same night.

Oh, which will he choose?  Who shall he disappoint? Which passion will win out? 

I think we all know which he will choose.

It's hard to imagine a young stud like that missing out on the after-game, all-male shower room orgy! 

Just imagine the pictures in that yearbook!

--- ---

Dirty Bookstore Stud
Author: Ward Michaels
HIS69530

If I'd had a lick of sense when I was younger, I would have applied to be an overnight clerk at Ferris Alexander's Dirty Bookstore and Theatre on the corner of Chicago and Lake Street. I mean, seriously... if I was going to waste my time working minimum wage jobs while going to school and doing theatre, then I might as well have done something I would have enjoyed! Of course, at the time, I couldn't enter the place without my head hung low, bathed in shame, so... hard telling how well that job interview would have gone. 

I remember the dudes behind the counter; scum of the earth types, chain smoking and leering at the customers. If I'd had my act together, I could have been the perky blonde boy with the ready smile. Of course, I also probably would have gotten caught up in the backroom going-ons, much to the detriment of both college and the theatre. But then... just imagine my annual review and all the 'exceeds expectations' I'd be credited with. And, as for the 'needs improvements?' 

Well, it would be the first time I'd ever take such things seriously!

Customer satisfaction guaranteed, indeed!

--- ---

Billy’s School Days
Author: Marty Grant
HIS69531

This book must concentrate on Billy's senior year... or perhaps he was held back and failed to graduate with his classmates? 

Neither of the hunks pictured appear to be 'school age.'  Or maybe I'm the perv and this is about college days. Anything goes in college. And the dorms!

Just imagine all the spooge hitting the tile in that shower room!

Hmm. Janitor for an all-boys dorm. Something to put on my list of  'things to do when I retire.'

Though I doubt I'd last long. No doubt someone would quickly draw a correlation between my arrival on the scene and the missing boys underwear epidemic plaguing the institution. 

--- ---

His Young Uncle
Author: Jon Hartley
 HIS69532

Looks like a Disney film in the tradition of Freaky Friday and The Parent Trap

Are they twins, sleeping in a twin bed? And look at that hunky uncle walking in all Tom Selleck-like. 

In fact, something tells me Tom Cruise bought the option on this one and has it in permanent turnaround. 

Originally he planned on playing the twins, but these days?

He'd be perfect as the predatory uncle.
--- ---

And that's all for now.

Next week? Another dozen scintillating, titillating titles. 

Notice, I don't say 'covers.' That's because we are heading into territory where we will have even more titles with an author, but the cover will be MIA.

Until then...

Thanks for reading!

Man To Man - Dorian Electra

2 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

OMG That title went for almost a hundred dollars? And to think people threw these books away...
I find the covers super titillating. You are right, they kind of trigger the imagination.
And I want to go to one of those dirty bookstores. They're almost all gone, though...

XOXO

Anonymous said...

Who knew there were so many of these books? I admit I had a few myself during the 70s(?)/80s(?). But I didn't know the vastness of this branch of literature. Most of the books were only good for one or two readings, but I read my favorite (Teacher's Bad Boy) so many times the pages started to stick together. I was crushed when my then roommate threw it out. He tried to find it to replace it, but, alas . . . apparently it was like finding a needle in a haystack.