Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 14, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Jessie Ware

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Jessie Ware

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing festooned with disco balls, strobes and a pulsing dancefloor. Here reign the Divas of the Dancefloor; a rare cultural phenomena somewhat confined to the clubs. Their siren calls beckon you forth, bewitching you with soulful sounds and inspirational words, causing your body to gyrate as if taken by a spirit. Theirs is the world of house - and by house, I mean, these ladies know how to take you to church, son. With their voices we soar and are liberated from gravity's and reality's pull. One such diva?

One of the UK's best kept secrets.

Jessie Ware.

Smooth. Silky. Elegant.

How did I live so long without Jessie Ware in my life?

I feel I've deprived myself of so much joy.

For that's what this diva traffics in... joy.

She's a low burning flame... but it seems she's getting hotter and hotter with every release. 

So much style. So much grace. This is not a girl, but a woman who is a total class act.

Dance? Pop? Soul? Neo-Disco? No matter your pleasure, she does it all, and she does it so well!

I, for one, plan on not missing another note.

Shake it 'til the pearls fall off, indeed!

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Timeless Music


"I don't think too far ahead because I want to appreciate what's happening now."

"I love Barbra Streisand and Sade... and I want my music to have that timeless quality that isn't necessarily now."

"Good music shouldn't have a shelf life."

"I guess I'm a real fan of older music, and that's what shaped my taste and the way I sing."


"I don't know if I should say this, but I feel more like a singer than an artist."

"There are so many great singers out there."


"Dance music has pushed its way into the mainstream. Which is good for me."

"A female vocal can lift a song."

"If I make a song where I'm happy, I sound completely mad - I think my voice is better-suited for sadder songs."

"I'm not a complicated person."

"I am just trying to keep it real."

Running - Jessie Ware

What's Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware

Pearls - Jessie Ware

And one last parting shot...

"I want to be as feminine and classic as possible."

"I dress in a sophisticated and classy way - I always dress in a way I know my mother wouldn't be embarrassed to see."

 

No comments: