Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Whoopi Goldberg

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Whoopi Goldberg

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to the Ladies Of Comedy. Theses are the gals who made us laugh and, on occasion, brought a tear to our eyes. They are visionaries, capturing aspects of the human condition while holding up a mirror to the world. Their characters, style, and phrases have helped form our daily vernacular in ways we are not even always aware of - but that is the power of comedy and the magic these ladies all possess. Breaking ground while breaking all the rules?

One such warrior?

Whoopi Goldberg.

Oh, child...

How many hats can one person wear? This diva belongs in a Dr. Seuss book!

From day one, she was an original, unlike any other. She landed from outer space and captivated Broadway. From there her talent simply spread its wings - television, movies, Oscars, stand up. 

Failure was not an option.

She has been part of America's cultural landscape for centuries, ever evolving, forever breaking down walls, barriers, and glass ceilings.

And in doing so, she's inspired so many others, blazing trails and defying expectations and capturing our hearts.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic: 'Black Actress'


"I'm fighting the label of 'black' actress simply because it's very limiting in people's eyes, especially people who are making movies."

"Actors have no color. That's the art form."

"The art of acting is to be other than what you are."

"An actress can only play a woman. I'm an actor, I can play anything."

"I am an artist, art has no color and no sex."


"I grew up in a time when it would never have occurred to anyone to tell me there was anything I couldn't do."

"I am where I am because I believe in all possibilities."

"There are roles I am never considered for. Meryl Streep roles, let's say. Why not? I really wanted to do Ironweed, for example, because the depression era in this country was one of the best for multiracial people, because everybody was poor. Everybody lived in the tents, and under buildings, and under gratings, together."

"I am the American Dream. I am the epitome of what the American Dream basically said. It said you could come from anywhere and be anything you want in this country. That's exactly what I've done."


"We're born with success. It is only others who point out our failures, and what they attribute to us as failure."

"I think the idea that you know who your inner self is on a daily basis, because... you know. What's good for you 25 years ago may not be good for you now. So, to keep in touch with that, I think that's the first ingredient for success. Because if you're a successful human being, everything else is gravy, I think."

"Things happen to you out of luck, and if you get to stick around it's because you're talented."

"And I don't believe that I have to stay on one side of the fence or the other. I don't believe that there is any good career move or bad career move. I believe there are only the things that make me happy."

"You know, be an actor because you love to act. Don't be an actor because you think you're going to get famous, because that's luck."

My Long Luxurious Hair - Whoopi Goldberg

Comic Relief VI - Whoopi Goldberg

Getting To Montreal - Whoopi Goldberg

And one last parting shot...

"All I really want to do is just keep acting, and some of it will stink, and some of it will be really good, and maybe when I'm 85 and presenting an Oscar like Bette Davis did, I can look back and say, 'It was okay, I did all right.'"

3 comments:

SickoRicko said...

I like her.

Mistress Maddie said...

Personally, I wished she stayed in acting. Otherwise she tends to get on my nerves.

whkattk said...

LOVE her. She supported out theatre for a few years when times were lean.