Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 07, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Kim Petras

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Kim Petras

In my big gay church there is a wing dedicated to The Divas Who Represent. They're not all flashy or cocks of the walk - in fact, some never officially came out of the closet during their lifetime - but they are all extraordinarily gifted, sharing their songs, music, and insights, allowing the world at large to learn, in the most subtle of ways, what it's like 'being green'. Thanks to their gifts and their bravery, they help make the world a little more gay every time their voices are heard. And that's been their true super power all along... their voice; they were heard. They mattered. And, whether they liked it or not, they represented!

One such talented renegade soul?

Kim Petras!

Hailing from Germany, this diva has captured the hearts and minds of numerous nations.

Seems her pop won't stop... for she keeps writing - for herself and others. In the process, she's become one of the most sought after musical collaborators. Established acts looking for something fresh and tasty? They turn to her.

Now a household name, with a Grammy award and an iHeart Radio Music Award, two MTV music awards and a Queerty Award, this gay icon is here to stay.

And she's done it all on her own terms.

So expect to hear a lot more from this talented beauty, for she's just getting started.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Unapologetic Pop.


"Pop music means everything to me. I've been listening to pop since I was kid, running home from school to watch Britney Spears and Spice Girls and Christina Aguilera music videos, and it felt like it was a world to escape to for me personally."

"...I hated school and ran home to watch Britney Spears videos. I just felt like I could forget about the stuff I didn't like about my life and listen to pop music and escape."

"I'm just trying to make the kind of music that I'd listen to as a teenager and forget about all my problems. I definitely always took my problems and turned them into music, and the more I can make myself feel happy, the better. But yeah, I definitely feel like music was always a place for me to, like, escape to. I just love songs that are fantasy."


"People started noticing my singing on YouTube, and then I came to L.A., and I lived on a studio couch. I wrote songs every single day with whoever I could write songs with."

"I'm always working with other collaborators."

"A lot of writing depends on being comfortable around the people you work with. I want it to feel like I'm working with friends."

"I thought I was just going to be a songwriter for other people! And now I get to put out my own music, which is amazing."


"I want to become one of the songwriting greats. That's my number one goal."

"I write my own lyrics; I can incorporate my own ideas. And yes, apparently, people think it's cool. That's pretty awesome."

"There's something about making a song that everybody can sing and remember, and when you listen to it the first time, you already know the words by the second chorus, like you've always known the song. I'm obsessed with that idea."

"People started recording my songs. Later, I was offered songwriter contracts. And then, finally, I could take the time to work on my own project. I worked hard for this all by myself."

I Don't Want It At All - Kim Petras

The Future Starts Now - Kim Petras

When We Were Young (The Logical Song) - Kim Petras
w/ David Guetta

And one last parting shot...

"I don't know - a lot of people think it's a really negative thing to do bubble gum pop, but I love it. I, like, want to own it."

"I sing pop music that I like and that is completely unapologetic - which is actually the term: it's called 'unapologetic pop."

No comments: