Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 28, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: The Supremes

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
The Supremes

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to what can only be described as... The Sisterhood. No matter their musical genre of choice, these ladies came together as a unit, joined arms and mesmerized the world. Their harmonies inspired unity while creating an energy which was absolutely infectious. Hit after hit, they earned their place in music history, sharing their unique vocal stylings. 

One such group?

I don't think there's another girl group to match the way The Supremes changed the cultural landscape in the USA. 

Their look, their style, their sound? It was embraced by in the USA across all lines of society

Why? Because it was infectious. It was joyous. It made people dance. The women were beautiful, elegant, stylish.

Though, the music alone is enough to guarantee their place in history. Such great songs! So many hits!

Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, and Florence Ballard (and, later, Cindy Birdsong) created so many iconic musical moments. Honed and refined by the Motown factory, they brought style and grace to the masses, dominating radio and television. 

And while there have been many to come as far, none can really compare to these divas, for they remain the premiere girl group of all-time.

The gospel according to them?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from their lips.

The topic? The Break-Up


"Don't be surprised if you don't see me around here much longer, honey. They're trying to push me out, they're trying to make me quit. But I ain't going - they'll have to throw me out!"  - Florence Ballard

"I never said I'd get in the way of Diane climbing to the top. I'm just not gonna let her climb all over me!" - Florence Ballard (to Barry Gordy)


"You know. there were times when Diane would pick up the phone and say, 'Im calling Berry!' That line, right there, would cause a whole heap of problems." - Mary Wilson

"She grew up as Diane, and Florence grew up as Flo. We’re friends but we don’t call each other constantly. We’ve grown apart, but it’s not because we don’t like each other. My love for Flo and Diane is pretty much almost the same as for my sisters – we had so much together, we grew up together." - Mary Wilson

"She has done many things to hurt, humiliate, and upset me, but, strangely enough, I still love her and am proud of her." - Mary Wilson


"I'll never forget, one time, while we were performing in Boston, Diane's mike went out, so without any warning at all she walked over and snatched Mary's microphone out of her hand. Mary snatched it back. Here they are snatching the microphone back and forth and I'm still standing there, still singing and looking at them." - Cindy Birdsong

"It was all acting; the smiles, the tears - all of it. Just acting. Afterwards, there was a big scene backstage; an argument over something I don't remember.." - Cindy Birdsong (on the group's final performance with Diana)

Where Did Our Love Go? - The Supremes

Love Is Here And Now You're Gone - The Supremes

Someday We'll Be Together - Diana Ross & The Supremes

And the parting shot...

"The girls had treated me very badly. They had gone against me with a vengeance... talked about behind my back when my back wasn't even turned." - Diana Ross

"Here's what I did, I called Mary and Cindy. I said 'Have you been hearing the rumors?' A lot of other stuff happened in the conversation - I don't want to get into - the first thing out of her mouth was 'What took you so long to call?'" - Diana Ross

"Now the people will get a chance to see how much talent Mary has. She’s a very talented girl. In fact, if it wasn’t for Mary, I wouldn’t push as hard as I have. You know how a runner has somebody to pace him? Well, Mary and I have been pacing each other for years." - Diana Ross 

"Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then". - Diana Ross

"You can't just sit there and wait for people to give you that golden dream. You've got to get out there and make it happen for yourself." - Diana Ross

1 comment:

Bob said...

To be fair, Florence did have problems with alcohol that affected the group and touring, and Mary, sorry Diana, was a so-so singer at best--I've heard some of her solo stuff and it's a meh.

But DIana had It, and when looking to make money, as record companies do, you focus on the It.

Also, after Florence's death Diana sent each of Ballard's daughter's a yearly check, until she felt like they were able to make it on their own.