Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Wednesday's Question Of The Day: Most Expensive Purchase

Wednesday's Question Of The Day: 
Most Expensive Purchase

Hump day? Well, I'll give you something to ponder.

Yes, it's time for Wednesday's Question Of The Day.

Each Wednesday, a new question to give you the opportunity to do a bit of self-examination.  Think of it as a way of getting to know all about you and a chance to learn a little more about me. 

That's right. You know me; spill that tea! For I am the king of over-sharing!

Oh, and please leave your responses in the comments section. 

Why, think of this as a little blogging kiki!

Okay! Ready, set... 

Here's today's question:

Aside from real estate or a vehicle, 
what’s the most expensive thing you’ve ever purchased?

So, I am not one of those people who consider animals property.

But the health of two of them? 

The most expensive thing I've ever purchased.

In a way, it was purchasing life - for them. They were brought into mine and I felt I owed it to them to be the best owner I could possibly be. So, when the chips were down and it was make or break time... my commitment didn't waver because of the price tag attached.

Did I do the right thing?

Yes.

One is still with me. Mama Rose. Her vet bills, when all was said and done, exceeded $4,000. 

She's the tiny mama cat who came walking down a tree branch as we were rescuing her kittens. They were all so skinny. And you could tell by the way she sauntered over to the kennel where two of her kittens were waiting that she was ready to surrender. I believe Mama was a feral kitten who got pregnant way too young. Providing nourishment for her four kittens took a toll on her health.  

Shortly after the kittens had been adopted, in December, she became quite ill and required hospitalization. It became very expensive, very quickly, but I felt I couldn't deny her a chance at a good life. Fortunately, it all turned out well and she got to come home with us once her kidney levels returned to normal. She only has one good kidney which is running at 10% - just enough to ensure a good life. Because of the expense involved - and the possibility that there may come a time when we have to do it all again - we felt we couldn't adopt her out. It was a possible financial burden that I didn't entrust to anyone else. 

She's a love. And I wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world. 

And then there was Beau, my first pup, a little Chihuahua who gave my life purpose when such a focus was needed. I spotted him in front of a Menards - cutest thing I'd ever seen. I told them I was going to go into the store, make a couple of purchases and would be back. However, when I got back, an older woman who'd recently lost her dog, wanted him. I gave her my phone number in case things didn't work out. They didn't. I got the call and went and picked him up. When I climbed into my Bronco, I set him on my lap and told him that he never had to worry about anything, that I would always take care of him. 

We began vet care. During the deworming process, something odd began to occur; he would walk backwards. He couldn't control it. He'd have such a look of panic on his face. Then he would have a seizure. It was heartbreaking. The second time it happened, I called my Mom, who was living 45 minutes away, and asked her to help me get him to a vet. The original vet said there was nothing they could do and suggested we go to the U of M. $5,000 later, we still had no idea what was wrong with my little guy. He had one more episode. And then... grew out of it. 

I adored him. Took him everywhere I could. He was a love. He had issues with his legs and, at the age of sixteen, eventually twisted his back so badly that we had no choice but to put him down. It broke my heart. But we did have sixteen good years. 

And... I would do it all again.

Will, I guess. 

Money doesn't mean much to me. I mean, yes, you need to cover the basics, but the rest? I never want. And I have no needs. And, yes, there are those who would say there are probably better ways that money could be spent. 

But not in my eyes. 

People do it for their children all the time. 

And I take pet ownership that seriously. 

I understand that not everybody can... but, at the very least, they should want to.

--- ---

Cats And Dogs - The Head and The Heart

3 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

That's quite the story and why I adore you.

With exception to a car, I'd say back in the day one of my drag ensembles was the most one expensive thing. It was a royal blue, beaded and sequined floor gown, with thigh high slit, weighing in at 25lbs. Made by Coco Vega. Back then if you were a true queen, who had a CoCo Vega. Once done with drag I fellow queen from the Imperial Court of NY bought it from me and she paid $800 for it...worn!!!!

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Awww the story of the pets is fantastic!
Pets can be VERY expensive! But they do bring joy.

I have no idea what to write here. Apart from my cars, I have never invested in anything too extravagant. I'm kinda 'frugal', as my gurlz put it.

I think I'm waiting until I retire to buy a Bambi Airstream. Give me a few years and I'll be back to this.

XOXO

whkattk said...

I guess you could call me very frugal. I've always been, um...practical, I guess. I make sure the basics are covered, then always put money aside for where I am now: Old. But I did splurge once.... $2,000 to see Babs in her first MGM concert. I don't regret it for a second. 'Course we've seen all the rest, too, but up in the cheap nosebleed seats. The last one, we got the Coca-Cola Box Suite for free because nobody else wanted the tickets! Which I do not understand to this day!!!