Followers

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 28, 2020

Friday Fun: Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day

Friday Fun: Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day

So, this is a very different kind of Friday Fun... kind of a Friday not-so Fun?

Losing a loved one is never fun... at all, but I thought this would be a wonderful opportunity for all of us to share a bit about those animals who have graced our lives over the years, as we celebrate Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day.

What is the rainbow bridge?

Found this answer at Humane Goods.

The 'Rainbow Bridge' refers to an other-worldly place consisting of a sunny, green meadow and multi-colored, prismatic bridge the pet eventually crosses that leads it to heaven. The term is believed to have originated in several works of poetry from the 1980's and 1990's that were meant to help relieve deceased pet owners of the pain of their loss. According to poems, upon death, the pet finds itself in a lush, green meadow filled with sunshine. The pet’s health is fully restored and it can run and play as it did in its prime with unlimited food and water. There, the pet waits until its human companion dies and is reunited with them in the meadow. Together, they cross the Rainbow Bridge to heaven.

Now, I don't believe in an afterlife... but I would sure love to see all my little dear ones again. Sentimental fool that I am, I rather like the idea behind this celebration.

Yes, I get terribly sentimental...

Something happened (well, a lot, actually) during the time when I stopped blogging. I have been trying to figure out an appropriate time to share this... and, while there is nothing fun about losing a loved one, I thought that today would be appropriate.

You've seen Millie before, here.
And I've shared about her trials and her backstory in the past, here.  

Eleven months ago, I got a call from my ex at 5:00 am on a Sunday. He told me Millie was dying, something he had claimed many times. My reaction was to yell, "No, she's not!" and hang up. I dressed, got to my car, and in a blur made my way to my house. My ex had Millie wrapped in a blanket and was about to drive her to the emergency vet. She was in the midst of a grand mal seizure. I told him to get in my car and we drove to the vet. On the way there, I kept glancing over to see how she was doing and, in my heart of hearts, knew that this time it wasn't going to end well. Once there, the ex, exhausted, handed Millie to the vet tech and said, "I'm done." 

And he walked out. 

And I stayed. 

Until the very end. 

Saying good-bye is always hard. But, under these circumstances it felt rushed and wrong. Yet, I know letting her go was the smart thing to do. She had been having issues for some time and I always wrote it off as the ex being overly dramatic. But, in fact, she had been having seizures during the night for some time. The ex always commented on how much trouble she had in the morning and that there was something wrong. But I would get home from work and she would perk right up and eat for me, like always. After mealtime, she would sit on my lap, curled up in a blanket until I went to bed. Sure, there were things I would have liked to do - play piano, clean, visit, happy hours... but sitting on my lap was one of the joys of her life, and since I wasn't around during the day, due to work, and I wasn't there much on the weekends, it was important that she get quality time. Still, I feel a tremendous amount of guilt that I was not 'there' more. 

All my dogs have a song that belongs to them. I will share the videos below. But for Millie... there was no song. So, I wrote my own. It's a little waltz, very Billy Joel/Randy Newman. Someday I hope to figure out how to record it and share it on this blog.

Millie, I am sorry
I wasn't there for you
I failed you as a father
We both know it's true
There was always something more
Important to do
Millie, I am sorry
I wasn't there for you

Millie, entered my life
Unexpectedly
She needed to be rescued
And it was up to me
When they laid her in my arms
She slept so peacefully
Tiny, little Millie
Home at last, happy

When someone
Comes into your life
Take them in
And hold them close
Or one day 
You just might find
They're the one
You miss the most...

Millie died in autumn 
Before the winter came
She left one early morning
When I was far away
There's no point 
In discussing
Who's at fault 
And who's to blame
Millie's gone forever
And nothing is the same

When someone
Comes into your life
Take them in
And hold them close
For one day 
You'll wake to find
They're the one
You miss the most...

Millie, I am sorry
For all I failed to do
Millie, I am sorry
I wasn't there for you
      - MHKMusic2020

This was taken the day Millie arrived. 
She was exhausted and slept on my lap for hours.














Where is blanket? Where is lap?






Taken a few days before her death.

And while we're at it... today is a good day to remember all our dear ones. Please use the comments section to share memories of the pets who have graced your lives. I would love to hear about them.

We have a small memorial garden.

Atula, Millie, and then, in a joint stone (on the table), Paco, Beau and Mona. Atula's says 'Atula... my big fat baby.'  And Millie's says 'Princess Millie of the Milkyway... run free.'


Atula spent most of his life in a small, indoor kennel for up to 20 hours per day. This led to a myriad of health problems that we did all we could to overcome. When we first gave him the run of the yard, he had no idea what to do. During his final two and a half years, he was pretty happy. Atula's story serves as an example of when people should choose not to be pet owners.


 
Atula's song:
My Funny Valentine - Sarah Vaughan


My beau. Love of my life.
He hurt his back and was too old to withstand all the surgeries that were needed.

Beau's song:
Lullabye - Billy Joel

Mona's story is just too sad to share. She wasn't with us long, but she was the most beautiful dog I have ever seen.

Mona's song:
Lost - Annie Lennox


My brave little man. He had a heart murmur which gradually robbed him of his quality of life.

Paco's song:
Let's Go Out Tonight - The Blue Nile

9 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

pretty puppies all.

sydney, kelly, steven (boys), and meredith (girl) have all crossed the rainbow bridge here. all 4 cats were rescues from the local shelter. all 4 are RIPing in our back yard.

we currently have nyla, gigi, and oreo (girls). all shelter rescues.

they never leave you; they are always in your heart.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

OMG
You got me in my feels. Millie!!
I have never been a pet person, but I've been a pet-parent-adjacent for years. People I've lived with have most times had pets. The wifey has always had pets (and so did her mom, my putative mother in quasi-law) and I've taken care of them at times. I don't mind pet sitting, mind you.
I don't really have a pet story to tell. Because I get to see the pets for short periods of time, it's all good all the time. I can understand why people love their pets so much, though.
And I love the little memorial garden!

XOXO

Bob said...

What a cutie.
We've lost so many pets, and it is never easy, but you just remember the utterly unconditional love you got from them, and that you gave in return.

Jimmy said...

I have all the cremated remains of my corgis here with me. I cannot part with them.

Morley, my first, loved me more than my husband. I regret not knowing when to put him down due to his health. I feel like I let it go on for too long.

whkattk said...

Cuties, all.... Our loved ones are buried in the back with little headstones and sculptures.

SickoRicko said...

Most of my life has been spent serving rescued cats. One had a stroke on Valentine's Day while lying next to me. Another had a heart problem that necessitated her being put down, but she had a reaction to the drug that was supposed to relax her and she went berserk. It was very traumatic.

I've lived with a pair of dogs who went with the ex years ago so I wasn't around for their passing, but I loved them both very much. Dogs are always such happy creatures.

The collages to your dogs are exactly like a long-ago friend for all his cats. When I first met him, he had eight of them. The number fluctuated over the years.

Mistress Maddie said...

Damn you boy. You got to this ice queen.

I loved those picture of Millie and all! I love Chihuahua's. Those faces they give. I did remember her.

Well... I have had three dachshunds...Poochie, Cassie, and Babs. Babs was a little pistol!!!! I was a mess with her death. Would purposely do thing to gets laughs I suspect. Then years later came my first and only cat, Starrbooty. And boy did she adopt her Mistress's personality and habits. My and the ex took her death hard. And then Buster Borghese came along, which was the first dog to not be full dachshund but a mix with beagle. I know I will be a basket case when he goes. I have never seen a dog so happy and have a love for everything. I love your memorial to your pets.

So if the story of the rainbow bridge is true, when I die a will reunite with three wieners, one hound and a pussy.

ilduce said...

Oh so sweet! So sorry for the loss.

BlkJack said...

I don't have one of my own, but pet sut for little Cassie. I live this little dog so much. I can't bare the thought of her leaving this earth


Thank you so much for sharing your little ones with us.
BlkJack!