Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Sunday Diva / Three From The Hip: Judy Collins

Sunday Diva / Three From The Hip
Judy Collins

In my own, personal, big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to Those of the Heart. These are the singers, songwriters and muses who have spent a lifetime capturing various aspects of the human condition. Frequently, due to the whims of the music industry and the political climate, their lives and careers were not always their own... but they persevered... ultimately remaining true to their roles as seers of the heart. One such voice?

Judy Collins.

They say the eyes are windows to the soul. 

If true, then Judy Collins has an amazingly beautiful soul; a certitude born out in her music.

With a voice like a breeze carrying the sound of the gentlest of birds... she sang her way 'round the world.

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, indeed.

She appeared blessed. Favored.

But appearances can be deceiving. 

For not all was well with our fair maiden.

Yet, for every challenge, she would find her way to a solution... eventually.

Sobriety came. Her eating disorder acknowledged. Thoughts of suicide and self harm. 

To those suffering from similar issues, she offered up her lessons learned. One book. Then another. Lectures and presentations. 

And yet, there was loss. Insurmountable.

A child, a boy, a man... her 33-year old son. Gone too soon.

In spite of it all... Judy continues, to this day, to face the world head on, through eyes which have seen so much, and with a heart that has known its share.

And still, she sings. 

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic: Suicide
 
"I think suicide is sort of like cancer was 50 years ago. People don't want to talk about it, they don't want to know about it. People are frightened of it, and they don't understand, when actually these issues are medically treatable. For many centuries, suicides were treated like criminals by the society. That is part of the terrible legacy that has come down into society's method of handling suicide recovery. Now we have to fight off the demons that have been hanging around suicide for centuries."

"I think it's important for people to know that even though you look like you're put together, you can in fact have a problem which is ruining your life and determining your choices - not all of them terrific or healthy. I have friends who've tried suicide many times and haven't succeeded. I myself made an attempt, so I had a connection with that sort of group of people who have tried suicide at one time in their lives. My book... Singing Lessons, a memoir of love, loss, hope, and healing... talks about the death of my son and the hope that has been the aftermath of the healing from that tragedy."

"Recovering from the suicide of a loved one, you need all the help you can get, so I very much recommend a meditation program. The whole picture of how to recover from this has to do with body, mind, and spirit. That's applicable to any kind of depression. If I had not already been meditating, I would certainly have had to start. I've treated my own depression for many years with exercise and meditation, and I've found that to be a tremendous help."

In My Life - Judy Collins

Send In The Clowns - Judy Collins

The Blizzard - Judy Collins

And one more parting shot...

"It is true that I have had heartache and tragedy in my life. These are things none of us avoids. Suffering is the price of being alive."

6 comments:

Bob said...

I am not a huge fan, but she has such a clear pristine voice.

Hot guys said...

Oh wow, those last few lines were so true! 👌🏻

Jimmy said...

"In My Life" is one of my all time favorite songs. I met Judy Collins for an autograph back stage after her concert in Miami. I was in high school and unworldly. She came out of her dressing room meet her fans with a big black stogie in her mouth. I about lost it! lol

Truly great people are always freaks of nature.No matter if it is a 13" dick or a unique voice.

anne marie in philly said...

she's sexy as fuck with a distinctive voice. but I didn't know all that about her life. wow, a survivor!

SickoRicko said...

She really does have quite the eyes.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Never heard of her, to be honest.
And now I learn she sings Send in the Clowns?
Who knew?

XOXO