Followers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Wonderland Burlesque's Your Music Collection Quiz

Wonderland Burlesque's 
Your Music Collection Quiz

Well, it is 2021... a brand new year and yet another opportunity to go through all your stuff and assess... do I really need this? 

What better place to start than you music collection?

Share what you got. I am... 

1/ How many CDs do you have? Vinyl albums? Cassettes? 8-Traks? 45's?

Over 1,200 CDs.

Only 143 Albums (I used to have over 3,000 - but abandoned them in Iowa when I moved to Cali - yes, I miss them all.)

2 Cassettes - Melissa Manchester reading Pocahontas, and a worn, stretched out copy of Arylyn Gale's Back to the Midwest Night. The Manchester thing is about being a completist (something I am no longer), and Arlyn Gale's album is not out on CD and I have not found a vinyl copy of it in good condition. He's kind of like Springsteen / Graham Parker and I think he should have been much bigger than he was. Love that damn album. (I used to have a sizable cassette collection, but that got abandoned in Cali when I moved back to Minneapolis.)

I also have a lot of music I performed on cassette. Some from my high school daze, a couple of musicals and a whole album I made by myself in 1986. I have some of my songs on CD performed by other people.

No 8-Traks, I used to. Tons found in cut-out bins.

The only 45 I have is James Taylor singing You've Got A Friend - but only because the flip side is You Can Close Your Eyes - which is a song I played over and over again on this old 1950's phonograph in my basement growing up. It was how I learned to improvise harmonies. Love that damn song.

2/ What are your top 10 recording artists - based on the number of their CDs/albums you own?

I went through a period where I was a completest. With Melissa Manchester, I tracked down everything she ever breathed on. If she sang back-up on it, I found it. The only thing I could not find were a couple of early singles she put out.

I have been that way with a number of artists - not to that extent, but... close. 

Melissa Manchester
Kristine W. 
Donna Summer
Madonna
Bette Midler
Janis Ian
Toni Braxton
Janet
Marianne Faithfull
Stevie Nicks
Crowded House
ELO
Rufus
Concrete Blonde
Fleetwood Mac
George Michael
Leo Sayer
David Bowie

3/ What recording artist have you collected the most of?

So, this is weird, but I went through this e-Bay period where I was selling a ton of stuff and buying a ton of crap. I don't know what I was thinking. This was also the period when I had a bunch of electric keyboards and synths (since donated). 

I kept buying... Gary Numan CDs. 

Yes.

"Here in my car, I feel safest of all..."

He has a ton of them. Like, he just breathes out and there it is... a CD. They are all boring as F (or at least the ones I opened). Seriously? It got to be embarrassing. 

I had this one person writing me through my vendor account asking why I was buying all his CDs. They were very concerned and wanted to know if I realized most them were garbage. 

4/ What CD do you own that would surprise me (and possibly embarrass you)?

I have Metallica performing with a full-orchestra (S & M). 

I dislike Metallica.

With a passion. 

But, I got totally F'd over by a tenant and when I was cleaning out his place, I came upon this CD and I kept it. 

I have never listened to it. 

I just dislike that tenant and Metallica so much!

5/ What are your guilty pleasures - i.e. artists that the music press/public disdain, but you're rather fond of?

I adore ABBA. They are like freaky aliens. And their music sounds alien and perfect at the same time. Don't just own a Greatest Hits CD. To find out how freaky they are you need to buy the albums. It's the deep tracks that will be in awe of.

I adore Macy Gray. She sounds so stoned most of the time, but she is very funny and musically adventuresome, given her voice. Every album she put out has one song that cracks me up. I dig her and think she should be writing songs for Disney musicals. She would also make a great Disney character - not a villain, but more like a guide or sidekick for the main character. Like, she would make an awesome Dori. Or the genie in Aladdin. 

Firefall. I adore their mix of genres. Disliked them intensely when they first came out and then fell in love with them ten years after they left Atlantic Records. 

I adore 1970's sugar pop - AM radio confections that created a ton of one-hit wonders. 

I adore Disco. Classic seventies stuff. Casablanca Records ruled.

I adore early 70's funk. Before electronics got in there and made it sound like a space age computer.

6/ What CDs do you own that are still in the plastic/unopened?

The last three Madonna CDs. 

The last three Bowie CDs. 

These, because Amazon used to allow you to have digital copies, if you bought a physical copy. I would burn the digital versions and just store the CD. There's a reason I do it with Madonna... she is in need of a good editor and also, her albums are typically poorly sequenced. So, once I am familiar with the music, I reorder the tracks so they make sense. There's always a powerful story within her CDs, but she fails to tell it well.

And Bowie? I just can't bring myself to open the CDs. But I listened to the music. A lot.

A ton of Gary Numan. 

Two Claire Lynch CDs. (Bluegrass. Lovely.)

Three Christmas Queens CDs. - All the RuPaul Alum. Got them the Xmas before this one... I might open them next year.

7/ Do you own any CDs you hate?

Other than that Metallica one? Hmmm. Nope. 

I donate stuff all the time. And I never feel sorry for a CD. Someone else will love them...

8/ Do you own any CDs/Albums that you listened to so much that you can't bring yourself to listen to again?

Poor Stevie Nicks. 

I was obsessed. I thought that 'theatre' was a spirit, a muse who lived in the corners of rooms and stages and that they were using Stevie Nicks and her music to guide me through my theatrical journey.

Wait. What?

Yeah. 

Man. You join the wrong cult and you will end up believing the weirdest f'ing things. 

But, nope... can't listen to her first three albums. Love them. But, nope. 

9/ What is the first vinyl album or CD you bought? 

It is either Melissa Manchester's Melissa album (Midnight Blue) or Heart's Dreamboat Annie

Adore both... so much.

10/ What are the most recent CDs you bought?

Alanis Morrissette's Pretty Forks In The Road. CD of the Year. Just love it. And I really don't care for a lot of her output (although I adore Flavors of Entanglement). 

Dolly Parton's A Holly Dolly Christmas (can't recommend)

Sara Bareilles' More Love: Songs from Little Voice Season One (really dislike)

--- ---

Okay... your turn. 

You know what to do: leave your answers in the comments section, or post on your blog and leave a link. 

Love learning more about each of you. 

Thanks for sharing... and reading!

--- ---

Baby Universal - Tin Machine
















































































Take The Night Flight - Arlyn Gale

7 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

OMG Uptonnnnnnn
Yes! I'm stealing this one too. But I totally agree with most everything you posted here. Madge, Donna, Fletwood Mac! ABBA! Alanis!

Man, we would have a blast together.

XOXO

Bob said...

1/ How many CDs do you have? Vinyl albums? Cassettes? 8-Traks? 45's?

Probably about a thousand CDs between the two of us. And about 75 albums. As for cassettes and 8-tracks and 45s, it’s zero.
2/ What are your top 10 recording artists - based on the number of their CDs/albums you own?
Sting … with and without The Police
Diana Ross.
Billie Holiday
Sammy Davis Jr.
Sarah Vaughan
John Hiatt
Crowded House
Tim Finn
Johnny Clegg and Savuka
Wynonna Judd
Adele
Fleetwood Mac
John Gorka
Betty Buckley
Eva Cassidy
3/ What recording artist have you collected the most of?
Sting. I have everything, with and without The Police.
4/ What CD do you own that would surprise me (and possibly embarrass you)?
My tastes are rather eclectic, so I don’t know if anything is a surprise.
Perhaps the Michael Fracasso CD. He’s a nasally, twangy country folk singer, but I love his voice.
5/ What are your guilty pleasures - i.e. artists that the music press/public disdain, but you're rather fond of?
All mine are guilty pleasures because none of them fit in the same box. Maybe it’s Dreamgirls in Concert featuring Audra McDonald, Lillias White, and Heather Headley, with Brian Stokes Mitchell, Billy Porter, Norm Lewis, James Stovall, and Tamara Tunie. I do a mean Deana Jones.
6/ What CDs do you own that are still in the plastic/unopened?
How could I listen to them and read the liner notes!!???!
7/ Do you own any CDs you hate?
I love a purge, so if I hate it, out it goes.
8/ Do you own any CDs/Albums that you listened to so much that you can't bring yourself to listen to again?
No. I really love music and where it takes you and the memories it sparks, so while I may put some on a back-burner, I will stumble across them again and listen like mad.
9/ What is the first vinyl album or CD you bought?
As a wee queerling I bought Diana Ross and the Supremes Anthology on vinyl. I cannot remember the first CD I bought, though.
10/ What are the most recent CDs you bought?
It’s been a minute, but I think it was Adele 25, and rare CD recording of Billie Holiday Live at Storyville.

whkattk said...

1. CDs? Whew...probably close to 1,000. Vimyl? About 400. Cassettes? 50-60. 8-track? None, but I do have reel-reel. Bunch of 7", some 10". 45s? Over 100. 78s? About 75.
2. Barbra, Melissa Manchester, Bette Midler, Elton John, Richard Marx, Manhiem Steamroller, Linda Ronstadt, Eagles, Garth Brooks, Harry Conick, Billy Joel, Tommy Sands
3. Barbra. Everything she's on that I've found. Lady Gaga. Adele.
4. Tough question. How about a 45? "Pepino the Italian Mouse."
5. Broadway stuff... Especially Les Miserables and A Chorus Line (duh!).
6. Several duplicate Barbra albums. Josh Groban.
7. Nope. Well, wait a minute - a disco collection the wife loves.
8. Nope.
9. Holy crap. Soundtrack to "Funny Girl."
10. Um...shit, it's been a while. "Walls," I think.

SickoRicko said...

What a fabulous collection of album covers! And I never knew there were so many explicit covers either. I had never seen the nude of Prince; I used to be so hot for him.

Jimmy said...

I have numerous vinyl and cd's ranging from The Mills Brothers to Twisted Sister. No idea of how many. The most talented IMHO of pop musicians, performers and writers is Prince. With Elton John, second.

Mistress Maddie said...

You sure do like your female singers!!!!

How many CDs do you have? Vinyl albums? Cassettes? 8-Traks? 45's? Around 150. No tapes anymore.

My top ten is all over the board. But my favorite to listen to and enjoy all over again would be....anything Madonna, Amy Winehouse, ABBA Greatest Hits, Shirley Bassey, Julie London, any of my Junior Vasquez cds, Pet Shop Boys, Palmoa Faith, Yma Sumac,Emma Bunton, Swedish House Mafia.

What recording artist have you collected the most of? I owe more Madonna then anyone else. Most of my collection is swingers and coroners and house music.

What CD do you own that would surprise me? I have a Mae West record on vinyl that was my father's.

What are your guilty pleasures - i.e. artists that the music press/public disdain, but you're rather fond of? Grimes, ABBA, Betty Boo, Great White, Charo CD....and surprisingly I enjoy Miranda Lambert

Do you own any CDs you hate? Don't hate it...but my least favorite is by an artist named Tweet. And the Samantha Mumbo CD I bought for one good song.

I haven't bought a CD in two years or possibly longer. Everything is on I tunes for me now.

I think Mariah Carey was the first CD, I bought her debut album...back when she actually sang and not catwalled and remembered the lyrics. I have them up too Music Box....and then she was downhill. And it should be illegal for her to sing Christmas songs.

anne marie in philly said...

1 - have not counted, but more than 100 in each category (combining spouse's and my own collection)

2 & 3 - beatles would probably be #1

4 - spouse has ABBA (ugh); I have vinyl from local radio stations that no longer exist

5 - disco music

6 - none; all are opened

7 - no, we only have music we like

8 - "rumours", fleetwood mac

9 - album = "meet the beatles", 45 = "get off my cloud", cassettem = "the history of british rock"; I still have all three

10 - "the nutcracker suite" a few years ago