Followers

Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Wonderland Burlesque's The 12 Days Before Xmas: I Believe In Father Christmas

Wonderland Burlesque's
The 12 Days Before Xmas: 
I Believe In Father Christmas

The 2nd Day Before Xmas

Sometimes our very best intentions turn on us, resulting in the exact opposite of what we set out to do. Take Greg Lake's attempt to turn the tide on Christmas consumerism as an example. 

I Believe in Father Christmas is a song written and performed by Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake and Palmer fame, featuring lyrics by Peter Sinfield. 

It's become a holiday favorite that rakes in cash year after year, though this was never Lake's intention - quite the opposite, in fact -  he wrote the song to protest the commercialization of Christmas. And he's been quite vocal about it since, telling one reporter:

"I find it appalling when people say it's politically incorrect to talk about Christmas, you've got to talk about 'The Holiday Season'. Christmas was a time of family warmth and love. There was a feeling of forgiveness, acceptance. And I do believe in Father Christmas."

Lyricist Sinfield, however, feels that "the words are about a loss of innocence and childhood belief."  

Whatever its intended meaning, it certainly captured the hearts of the masses. Released in 1975, the song reached #2 in the UK, #17 in Ireland and #98 in Australia. 

Hopefully, all that yearly holiday ka-ching warms the heart of Mr. Lake, for, yes, it appears the song is the gift that keeps giving!

Give yourself a little gift this holiday season.
A little you time! All good boys deserve favor!
- uptonking from Wonderland Burlesque

I Believe In Father Christmas - Greg Lake


6 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

Yep....another favorite!!!! I think the version I heard seemed to be sped up a bit. It's a goodie for sure.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Have never heard this one. Ever.
And that’s quite the opposite effect,I think.
Xmas is indeed too commercialized. He was right then and now.

XoXo

Inexplicable DeVice said...

This is one of the very few Christmas songs I can actually bear. When in the mood, I actually quite like it!
My very favourite though is the Dandy Warhols "Little Drummer Boy".

whkattk said...

Father Christmas? Santa!!!!

Jimmy said...

I love his sound/voice. It reminds me of the Byrds.

Anonymous said...

A slightly stripped down version without the lush orchestra and choir background vocals is on ELP Work's Vol 2. This version is even more bitter than this Greg lake single.

Radio and malls take a song with a great melody and repeatedly play it over and over turning it into a "Christmas" hit without thinking about what the lyrics are saying. But this also happened to John Lennon's Merry Xmas (War is Over).