Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Kate Bush

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Kate Bush

In my own personal big gay church there are many wings. In one such wing reside those who have forged careers by marching to a beat only they can hear. They are originals - unlike any other. Their styles created archetypes upon which many careers were built, but it all began with them. They created it. They own it.

And down from the heavens came... 

Kate Bush.

Valkyrian warrior? Mystic empress? Sprite? Wood nymph? A sailor's siren?

She is the weaver of some very tall fables... and we, her rapt audience.

Divining threads pulled from a world known only to her, she uses her powers of enchantment to mesmerize all those who listen. 

Artistically calculating, a bit of a perfectionist, for her? It's a matter of quality, not quantity. 

She dances to only her own cadence, marching to no industry's beat... for she, and she only, controls the drum. 

To peer into her world is to lose one's self, all the while opening eyes to new vistas, ears to unheard delights and minds to untold wonders. 

To this day, she continues to conjure and share her unique brand of visionary musical landscapes which we, the world, are privileged to discover. 

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips. 

The topic? The Source Of Art
 
"That's what all art's about - a sense of moving away from boundaries that you can't in real life. Like a dancer is always trying to fly, really - to do something that's just not possible. But you try to do as much as you can within those physical boundaries."

"Writing, film, sculpture, music: it's all make-believe, really."

"I had an incredibly full life with my imagination: I used to have all sorts of trolls and things; I had a wonderful world around my toys and invented people. I don't mean I had imaginary friends, I just had this big imagination thing going on. I didn't need any imaginary friends, because I had so much other stuff going on."
 
"I have a theory that there are still parts of our mental worlds that are still based around the age of between five and eight, and we just kind of pretend to be grown-up."

"I guess what all artists want is for their work to touch someone or for it to be thought provoking."

"The more I got into presenting things to the world, the further it was taking me away from what I was, which was someone who just used to sit quietly at a piano and sing and play. It became very important to me not to lose sight of that."

Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush

Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush

This Woman's Work - Kate Bush

And a couple parting shots...

"I think quotes are very dangerous things."

"I'm the shyest megalomaniac you're ever likely to meet."

3 comments:

Hot guys said...

Running Up That Hill is my favorite song by her 💜

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Whenever "Wuthering Heights" comes on, me and my youngest sister will screech along to it with gusto. She'll even have a go at the dance!

"Running Up That Hill" is one of my favourites, too. As is "The Sensual World".

SickoRicko said...

She's neat.