Followers

Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 30, 2020

16 First Date Questions From The Experts: Part Two - Questions 9 -16

16 First Date Questions From The Experts
Part Two - Questions 9 -16

Last Tuesday we placed a big glaring spotlight on an old (very old) foe - eHarmony founder, Neil Clark Warren and his creepy 'christian' dating site. I always say... know where your enemies are... you can't defeat what you can't see. 

But, I thought the questions his experts at Love and Harmony posed were fun (especially these last eight), so here we go with Part Two...

9. What’s your signature drink?

Oh, finally, a question I know the answer to...

My signature drink:

Take a classic martini glass. Nothing else will do. And we are talking 'classic' - 1940's style, Nick and Nora Charles. Don't hand me something in anything remotely looking like a regular glass. Keep your modern variations... 

Fill that glass with six large cubes. I like it heaping. 

Fill only the bottom fourth/third of the flute with Beefeater's gin. Boodles, if you have it. I don't know why, but less is more.

Take a can of flavored carbonated water. Current favorite: LaVie's grapefruit. Other acceptable flavors: LaCroix Peach/Pear.

Fill the rest of the flute with the carbonated water.

Sip. And keep replenishing the carbonated water. Eventually, the amount of carbonated water will far outweigh the gin, but by then the gin will have worked it's magic and you won't mind. 

This is my 'at home' cocktail of choice.

When dining out:

A Boodle's gin martini (never dirty), up, olives (never stuffed), side of ice. Drop those cubes right after the first sip - you want to keep this sucker cold as possible. 

I hope to be sipping one the day I slip from this mortal coil. Prying it from my cold, dead hand? 

Good luck.

10. What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?

I love food. 

Back when I was still a pescatarian, I had the best sushi ever at Fuji Ya in the LynLake neighborhood. Just once. I went back several times and it was either meh or awful. And the most amazing oysters at Capital Grille. 

I enjoy simplicity. And I enjoy home cooking. My boyfriend makes the best vegan goulash ever and the best vegetarian tikka masala.  

Mash a potato? And I'm in heaven.

11. In which television show’s world would you most want to live?

I'm so gay.

Sex in the City. Back in the day. Sigh.

Samantha and I would giggle and exchange stories, egging each other on. She'd be my best bud. Charlotte wouldn't approve of me at all, but I think my kindness would win her over. Such respect for Miranda. But, again, she wouldn't have a lot of energy for me. Maybe I could babysit? And Carrie?

I'd slap her. 

And tell her to stop whining. And stop smoking.

Those two other gays? They would HATE me. That would probably be the thing over which they bond. 

The one episode I really want to appear on? The one where Samantha moves into the meat packing district and, after a lot of back and forth, makes peace with the drag queen hookers in the hood, throwing them a killer party on her fabulous rooftop. I think a song by Amber is playing... 'Love One Another'? I would be so happy, dancing, sipping my gin, having the time of my life.

12. What’s on your bucket list?

Paris and New York. Also Barcelona, Venice, London and someplace in Scotland.

I would still love to see Bruce Roberts sit at a piano, play, sing and talk about his music. 

I would like to see P!nk and Alanis Morisette in concert. 

I would like to see decent productions of the following: Chess, Evita, Anyone Can Whistle, Follies, Company, A Little Night Music, Mame, Mack and Mabel, and, above all else... Dear World.

I'd like to write seriously. 

I'd like to play piano and sing at a coffee shop.

These are just the things on my mind lately. It all changes on a dime. There used to be tons of sexual stuff on my list... but, either I've done it or have lost interest... 

At this point? Practicality wins out. 

The travel? Oh, yeah. That will all get done. Bruce? I think he's a bit of a hermit. P!nk and Alanis? A whim. All those shows? I'm not holding my breath. They are either damaged shows or nearly impossible to get right. I will write again. And performing in public again? Hmmm. That's up to Covid.  

I want to marry my boyfriend. But... that's problematic. Life is so messy.

13. What’s the most embarrassing concert you’ve ever attended?

Oh, dear. I love her. I think she's an American angel. Even to this day, a classic 'IT' girl. 

Belinda Carlisle. 

Bless her heart. She is still out there, touring. Looks great. Incredible, even. Healthy. Vibrant. Happy.

Can't find a note to save her life. 

I gasped aloud so many times, as she murdered song after song... rendering things we all know by heart, into a contorted, gnarled, unrecognizable mess. 

No, not every song.  

When she was on, it was fun. A lovely slice of nostalgia.

But her batting average was not good.


Never have I seen a band work harder. The band leader, feeding her notes, trying to right the ship and steer it back into safe waters. But no, Belinda had her eyes on the rocks and there was no dissuading her. 

All that said... I do not regret seeing her. I enjoyed it. It was fun. Just to bask in her star power - which she has unlimited quantities of -  with such charisma that it will put a smile on your face. She smiles, or share a tidbit, or makes light of her past and... you simply melt and fall in love with her all over again.  

14. What’s your most valuable possession?

I don't really care about money. And I am not really very attached to any 'thing'. 

So what do I possess that I value?  What do I treasure?

My family. 

My gifts.

My health. 

Everything else is replaceable. 

15. Who’s the most fascinating person you know?

Laura Moe.

She's a singer I have had the pleasure of working with from time to time. 

One of the most beautiful women I have ever met. Voice like an angel. She's a total enigma. I've known her for almost 20 years and she drifts in and out of my life like a mythical siren. 

She's made some odd choices - musically, personally. And I worry about her all the time, because she strikes me as being rather fragile. I don't know how she manages, how she navigates life. 

She's one of those people who is barely tethered to this earth. I always think she's about to float away. There's an ethereal quality to her being and voice which transcends all I know about the world. 

And while she's welcoming, kind and gracious... you will never get very close to her. She'll disappear the moment you do.

16. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done? The scariest? 

Those are two different things.

Hardest. 

It's a tie.

Letting go of my dogs. 

Five of them. All heartbreakers. I kept thinking I would get better about it. But, no. It never gets easier. Just the opposite. And it takes me forever to process the loss. 

I still have Hercules. He's such a good boy. And when his time comes... that will be it. No more dogs. 

My heart just can't take it. 

- and -

Breaking up with my soon-to-be-ex. 

Life is messy. There is a moment that is seared into my brain...

We were both sitting on our bed with our backs straight against the headboard. Side by side. Fully clothed, on top of the covers, holding hands. He was sobbing quietly. I was feeling empty, convinced I was a terrible human being. There's a mirror on the wall at the end of our bed. We were both staring forward. Looking at 'us'. And the moment lingered... like a camera remaining on a scene that had played itself out. 

There's a part of me that is still sitting on that bed.
 
Scariest

Receiving last rites all alone in a city where no one loves you. 

Even if you're not afraid to die.

Even if there's a tiny voice inside of you that says, 'You're not going to die.'

Even if you're in the same bed that Elizabeth Taylor occupied the week before.

It's still scary.

--- ---

I liked these questions. How did you do? Leave your answers in the comment section or post them on your blog and leave a link. 

Drinking Again - Bette Midler























































Love One Another - Amber

4 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Loved them!
You just know I’m going to have to do them one day.
And letting go of loved ones is traumatic. Either breaking up when there’s still love or because life happens, it’s hard.
I like your bucket list.
I can’t believe Belinda cannot sing. I love The GoGo’s!

XoXo

whkattk said...

There were questions? After such enticing photos, I don't remember the questions!! LOL.

Favorite Drink: Whiskey Sour
Favorite Meal: Anything Italian. After that..a really good burger.
Bucket List: A tour of Italy. A very looong tour. Then to go back to Greece. Then live on an island in the Caribbean.
Biggest Fear: Right now? That Trump and his minions remain in power. Well, maybe that's not a fear but a nightmare.

Mistress Maddie said...

OH NO!!!!!! Beefeater's gin!!!!!!!!!! I may pass out.......

The one gin I do not like for some reason and does not sit well with me. But I can't lie, if you wanted to get me drunk with those martinis you like Id let you. As Dorothy Parker said." I love a martini, two at the most, three im under the table, four under my host."

But loved all the questions again. What a great way to get to know you. You make he hotter each time!!!

Most places on my bucket list are no checked off. The next to are an Italian trip of Lake Como and Portofino which would have been this summer. The next on the list is Nairobi. Then time to start a new list. Although I would love to go back to Buenos Aires. Hands down the best trip I ever had.

Jimmy said...

These questions expose the hard and soft side of you. Some of your answers I couldn't do, some I've done. But none I want to do.