Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 03, 2021

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Lily Allen

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Lily Allen

In my big gay church, there are many, many wings. One is dedicated to those referred to as Forever Our Girls. They are the girls next door. The ones who seemed accessible, real and a part of every day life while stealing our hearts with their girlish charms. And they did it all wrapped up in the trappings of whatever was topping the charts at the time. Sounds changed. Styles came and went, but the one thing that remained constant? Their voice.

One such clever dolly?

Lily Allen

Born to British entertainment industry royalty - one could say, it was the beginning of all her problems.

She was, initially, a MySpace sensation, where being shocking became its own reward.

Brash, bold, and a bit vulgar... she wrote her own stuff. It was fresh, naughty and oh-so very scintillating.

Her music caught on... three #1's in the UK, millions of records sold. 

Those watching feared she was treading the same path as her contemporary, Amy Winehouse: drugs, booze, and an eating disorder wrecked havoc in her life. Her reputation for arriving bladdered and being terribly outspoken began to overshadow the music.

She married, had two children and divorced. 

And then she got sober. 

After 20 years of self-medicating and feeling numb... she is a talent reborn.

Now married to Stranger Things' David Harbour, our favorite cheeky peng ting seems to be back on track. 

She just made her debut on London's West End, so who knows what the next chapter in her saga will hold?

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Drugs And Alcohol

"I was a drug dealer in Ibiza at 15. I did not excel in drug dealing - I was terrible at it. Golden rule with drug dealing - don't get too enthusiastic with your own merchandise."

"I know lots of people that take cocaine three nights a week and get up and go to work every day, no problem. But we never hear that side of the story. I hang out with models, the biggest pop stars and, you know, really and honestly, I hate saying this, but none of them are achieving those body shapes by being healthy."

 "I'm always going to have an addictive personality." 

"And I am a weapon of massive consumption And it's not my fault, it's how I'm programmed to function."

"I'd never really been a drinker before. I'd always been a drug taker, and the drinking was an accessory to doing drugs. I realized, 'Oh, fuck, I haven’t taken any drugs for ages, but I’m drinking a lot'. I was drinking a bottle of Grey Goose a day. It was really bad."

Oh My God - Mark Ronson feat. Lily Allen
 
Fuck You - Lily Allen

Trigger Bang - Lily Allen feat. Giggs

And one last parting shot...

"As for drugs, it annoys me that people think it`s the worst thing in the world compared with, say, not paying your taxes. If you don`t pay tax, you may be stealing from someone who needs an operation. As for me and drugs or alcohol: No thanks, I`m abstaining for a while."

2 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

For me she was part of that British invasion for me...at the same time with Amy Winehouse, herself, Adele, Emma Bunton, and Duffy. Loved them all.

SickoRicko said...

I don't know her, but she has a good style.