Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 03, 2023

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Andy Bell

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip
Andy Bell

In my big gay church there is a wing dedicated to The Divas Who Represent. They're not all flashy or cocks of the walk - in fact, some never officially came out of the closet during their lifetime - but they are all extraordinarily gifted, sharing their songs, music, and insights, allowing the world at large to learn, in the most subtle of ways, what it's like 'being green'. Thanks to their gifts and their bravery, they help make the world a little more gay every time their voices are heard. And that's been their true super power all along... their voice; they were heard. They mattered. And, whether they liked it or not, they represented!

One such unfiltered, candid voice?

Andy Bell.

Say what you will... Mr. Bell shares his truth.

And yes... he's said 'things'.

You may not agree with  them or understand... but in a world of spin and manipulation - the man remains incredibly refreshing.

He came on the scene as part of the duo Dinger.

From there, he met Vince Clarke and they formed the heart-melting joy known as Erasure.

Since that time, he's occasionally stepped out on his own, both musically... and in the social political arena. 

He was openly gay. He saw the road paved by Sylvester, Tom Robinson, Marc Almond, Holly Johnson, Boy George, Divine, Jimmy Somerville... and he took it. 

Then, by 1997, after years of hedonistic success... he took another. 

A road less travelled. 

Not that he kept to himself. Because being true to himself is what this diva is all about. And he has no time for a pity party, or those ignorant about HIV and AIDS. Dispelling the image of a gay man being less than empowered due to being HIV positive came naturally to this gay icon.

The man will sing it from the mountaintop. In a voice which remains strong and pure to this day.

As long as there is a beat and the beauty of a synthesizer, Mr. Bell will be ringing it in with glad tidings and good will for all. 

The gospel according to him?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from his lips.

The topic? Being Gay And Positive

"At the time, in 1985, I had just met my partner, Paul, as well as Vince. Paul was saying, 'Oh, you can’t say that' or 'Don’t say that.' He thought I should just keep quiet about it [being gay]. And I thought, 'I don’t want to keep quiet.' What for? So, I decided that when people would ask me about a girlfriend and stuff like that, I wasn’t going to say, 'Oh, yes, I fancy this and that.' I was simply going to be me."

"[W]e shot our very first video in drag. Then, with our first hit, Sometimes, we were wearing jeans and T-shirts, very James Dean. After that, though, when our records began selling less, the label asked, 'Can’t you put on a dress again or wear a rubber leotard for shock value just to bump up sales?' I was like, 'No.' Anybody that tells me to do something, I will do the opposite."

"We achieved so much. There were huge political rallies going on. We’ve managed to change the age of consent, we did a lot, but we had loads of camaraderie there, and we stopped with each other."

"I can't take credit for all of that because it doesn't mean what it did anymore. It mattered to me then, and you think it's going to matter for life. But then things start happening, the age of consent comes down, gay people getting married, all that stuff that you fought for. In general, we're in a much better place."

“You are going to think this strange, but I wanted to be HIV positive. I thought HIV was a touchstone of being gay."

"I was very confused, and I hate keeping secrets to myself. It’s not because I’m a big blabbermouth or anything. It’s just such a burden to carry. It took me a while to clear my head and sort it all out."

"Sometimes I think I was a greedy pig for all the drugs I took. I don’t regret it, though, because I was just being me. I was a mess and I did try therapy, but I can’t imagine I’m ever going to live my life in a way where if I’m out and I’m having a good time, I’m going to say no."

"I couldn't believe the men were so good looking!"

"There are definitely HIV-positive people who meet other HIV-positive men, and like still having unprotected sex. I think it must be quite hard for young gay men because there is so much for them now to do — there are so many saunas and stuff like that for them to go to, and it's so easy to get it."

"Who knows where we got it? The number of blow jobs I've given in club toilets!"

"I kind of knew. It was one of those things. I'd been a bit self-destructive for a while and this seemed to be part of that. It's amazing how much pain the body puts up with."

“But I’m a fighter. They will have to take me from this world kicking and screaming.”

“I have other friends in similar situations, and with the development of maintenance drugs, it wasn’t a death sentence.”

"Being HIV-positive does not mean that you have AIDS. My life expectancy should be the same as anyone else's, so there's no need to panic. There is still so much hysteria and ignorance surrounding HIV and AIDS. Let's just get on with life."

Crazy - Andy Bell
(MHC Stateside Remix)

Aftermath - Dave Audé feat. Andy Bell

Summer Night City - Claire Richards w/ Andy Bell

And one last parting shot...

"We played a show in Sao Paulo in Brazil in the mid-‘90s. All these Brazilian rock acts performed the whole day before we went on. By the time we got onstage, the whole audience was in hysterics and screaming, 'Puta! Puta!', calling us whores and throwing things at us - in a really horrible way. And all the boys were getting up on each other’s shoulders and pulling their pants down and mooning us. I was quite scared. Then, we came off stage and immediately did an MTV interview. The first question we’re asked is, 'How was the show for you?' I was about to go into a tirade and Vince put one finger up to his lips and went, 'Shhh. I said, 'The show was fantastic. We never had such an amazing reaction in our whole life.'"

2 comments:

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I REALLY liked Erasure from the get go until the mid-90s - Their self-titled album in 1995 was the peak, for me (and haven't bought any albums since 2014's "The Violet Flame"). However, I didn't really come across any interviews or articles or news items about Andy (and/or Vince), so I didn't get to know the part of him he shared to the public. I've heard one or two things over the years, but they weren't as important to me as the music.

Xersex said...

#2 this dress is simply amazing!