Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Who Did It Better? Shambala

Who Did It Better? 
Shambala

Shambala is a song written by Daniel Moore, who, it seems, may have promised the same song to two different entities: B.W. Stevenson and Three Dog Night.

Okay... so this is the early '70s - and I know a number of you weren't even born yet, so let me give you a little backstory...

Three Dog Night earned 12 gold albums and recorded 21 consecutive Billboard Top 40 hits. Their label, Dunhill Records, claimed that 40 million albums were sold by the band during their heyday.

The group was a bit of an oddity, for a rock group, back in the first half of the '70s. They rarely wrote their own material. Instead, they seemed to specialize in shining a spotlight on both established and exciting new songwriters. They helped the careers (and bank accounts) of many, including: Harry Nilsson, Laura Nyro, Elton John/Bernie Taupin, Randy Newman, Paul Williams, David Loggins, Leo Sayer, Hoyt Axton, and John Haitt.

However, there was a down-side to being this type of group. They were not well-respected in rock circles; generally dismissed as little more than a very successful cover band. In order to make any money they had to tour constantly. And, while they were consistently one of the biggest concert draws at the time - those ticket sales were driven by the success of their latest single, how well they were doing on the charts, and how much radio play they could garner.

With their financial success in mind, and in light of the fact that they did not write their own material - getting a hot new tune before anyone else was key.

That is why, while in the middle of recording their Cyan album, once they learned that B.W. Stevenson was imminently releasing the song Shambala, the group dropped everything and rush-recorded their own version. The song never got a proper stereo mix and they had no song for the flipside of the 45. As a last resort, they cobbled something together and titled it Our B-Side. Released on May 11th 1973, the week after Stevenson's, their version would eventually peak at #3 on Billboard's Hot 100 and #4 in Canada.

B. W. Stevenson's version, which was a full minute shorter, debuted at #96 and later peaked at #66 during its eight-week run. Only in South Africa did his version do better, peaking at #8, compared to Three Dog Night's at #13.

But, don't feel too bad for Stevenson. He got an exclusive on Daniel Moore's next song, My Maria. It became his signature tune and he rode it to the #9 spot on Billboard's Hot 100 while notching a #1 Adult Contemporary hit, as well.

So... what is Shambala?

Shambhala is a mythical kingdom hidden somewhere within or beyond the peaks of the Himalayas. It is mentioned in various ancient texts, including the Kalachakra Tantra and ancient texts of Tibetan Buddhism.

Okay, enough music history... let's get to it.

The Song: Shambala

The Competitors: B.W. Stevenson vs. Three Dog Night

--- ---

Shambala - B.W. Stevenson

Shambala - Three Dog Night

I love the simplistic, down-home twang of B.W.'s version. The production is super clean, making the song feel very immediate, very intimate. The lived-in growl in his voice evokes Bob Seger, and I enjoy the relaxed feel of this version. The overall build of the vocal arrangement works well and it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Three Dog Night's version feels tightly-pitched and tinny. Cory Wells is in Las Vegas rocker mode. I like his voice, but it feels a bit false. Premeditated. Predatory. For being recorded so quickly, this is a much smoother ride. More polished-sounding, less alive. Very professional. Love that gospel organ moving in and out of the arrangement, bringing a richness and evoking something spiritual. It helps warm up this take considerably. I can see why this was such a success on AM radio, as the production and sunny arrangement, no matter how manufactured, pierces through to one's subconscious. 

Hearing the song again? I am amazed some 1990's frat-boy band didn't bash out a cover of this... because it would have been perfectly at home on the radio along side the likes of Chumbawamba and Smash Mouth.

The Verdict:

I love Three Dog Night. Always have. But this one? I am giving it to Stevenson. I really appreciate how natural-sounding the song feels coming from him. It feels genuine. Three Dog Night's version feels a tad over-produced and too smooth - very show biz, even though they do get major points for their harmonies and that lovely organ. B.W.'s is the kind of honest, sit-down music I get into on occasion. 

Not to put too fine a point on it... B.W.'s is the real version. Three Dog Night's is the 'Glee' version. 

Okay... that's my take on it.

What do you think? Leave your thoughts in the comment section. I love to hear from you.

That's all for now...

Thanks for reading. 

7 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Well, I think I like Three Dog's night better. I don't know why. It just sounds good to me? Also, B.W's version is nice and all, but I just can think about My Maria when I hear his voice...

Also, Hoyt Axton is a hot name.

XOXO

Jimmy said...

I'm more acquainted with the TDN version. The tempo is more upbeat. So I'm going with them.

anne marie in philly said...

three dog night! YEAH!

whkattk said...

B.W. Who? Seriously never heard of him. He loses for me simply for mispronouncing the title word, country twang be damned. His Shambala is a shambles. LOL.

Hot guys said...

Can you believe it that I haven't heard of either of these? 🤷‍♂️

Mistress Maddie said...

I wasn't familiar with anything here today. But after giving a listen, I did indeed remember hearing the song before. I have to agree with your version, I liked the Stevenson one much better too. The whole vibe was better and I liked his vocal better too.

PurpleWolf said...

I LOVED TDN, and this one is my second fave (Joy to the World being first). To me, the organ gives the song life and energy, more so than the Stevenson version does. I'm also more familiar the TDN version, and have more memories of it (I was in high school during this time), so I'll cast my vote for the Three Dog Night version. But Stevenson's is quite good, though.